Recently some customers contacts us and would like to know the polar embedded column(polar amide group embedded in carbon chain). Today, let’s take some time to get to know Welch Materials Ultisil ® Polar RP.
In the traditional polar embedded reversed-phase chromatography column, polar amide groups are bonded on the surface of silica gel. This bonding method will cause residual amino groups on the surface of silica gel. The residual amino groups show basic properties, which will cause a peak tail when analyzing acidic substances (such as organic acids). Welch Materials Ultisil® Polar RP uses a unique bonding process to solve the problem of silicon hydroxyl residue on the surface of silica gel in the traditional process. At the same time, the double end-capping technology is used to obtain an excellent symmetrical peak shape.
● Polar RP column has stronger phase collapse resistance than AQ column. The embedding of polar groups enables the alkyl stationary phase to be wet by water solvation when the proportion of organic phase in the mobile phase is very low (even when 100% water mobile phase), and no phase collapse phenomenon will occur.
● Polar groups embedded is not far from the surface of silica gel, the shielding effect of silanol group is very effective. Therefore, the product has a good peak shape both in the determination of acidic and alkaline substances.
● Better retention and selectivity of polar substances. Example of enhanced retention is uracil, which, because it is not retained on most reverse-phase columns, is commonly used as a dead-volume calibration reagent. In the Ultisil® Polar RP column, however, uracil is retained under 100% aqueous mobile phase conditions.
● The determination of basic substances such as purinine and pyrimidine, small organic acids, catecholamines, and water-soluble vitamins often requires the use of a high-water mobile phase. Despite the embedded polar groups, the stationary phase retains its reversed-phase properties.
● Compared with AQ colum(pure alkyl stationary phase), because of the embedded polar groups, the selectivity of polar rp column will be different, especially in the determination of polar substances.
● Rapid separation of similar samples can be achieved on the same column.
|Determination of Madder content|
Column: Welch Ultisil ® Polar RP (4.6×250mm, 3μm)
Mobile phase: methanol/acetonitrile /0.2% phosphoric acid solution =25/50/25
Test wavelength: 250nm
Column temperature: 30 ℃
Flow rate: 1.0 mL/min
Injection volume: control substance 10μL/ sample 20μL
Sample solution configuration
Mixed standard solution: Customer supplied liquid;
Sample solution: Take the powder of this product, weigh 0.5g, put in a stopper conical flask, add methanol 100mL, close plug, place overnight, ultrasonic treatment for 30min, put cold, shake well, filter, take the filtrate 50mL, steam dry, residue add methanol /25% hydrochloric acid (4/1) mixed solution 20mL dissolved, placed in a water bath heating hydrolysis for 30min, cooling immediately, Add triethylamine 3mL, mix, transfer to 25mL bottle, add methanol to the scale, shake well, filter, take the filtrate, that is.
1. Mixed standard solution
2. Test solution
The determination was performed on a Welch Ultisil ® Polar RP (4.6×250mm, 3μm) column under these chromatographic conditions to meet the detection requirements.
Related Product Information