Solid phase extraction (SPE) is a sample preparation technology which develops and combines between liquid-solid extraction and column-liquid phase chromatography technology in these years. SPE is mainly used for sample separation, purifying and condensation. Compared with the traditional liquid-liquid extraction, SPE can increase the analyte recovery rate, separate analyte and interfering components efficiently and simplify the sample preparation process. SPE is easy to operate and save time. Let’s know more about the SPE.
SPE column commonly is made of the tube, sieve plate and adsorbent.
Tube: made for PP material. It’s general syringe shape, sometimes it’s glass tube which is used on plasticizer analysis.
Sieve plate: fixing adsorbent and filtrate the solution. Most plate is PP material, but some are Flon, Glass, stainless and etc. for the special analysis.
Adsorbent: the core of SPE. There are different types of adsorbents for different manufacturers.
Compared with liquid-liquid extraction, what are SPE advantages
- No need using quantity of organic solvent, reducing pollution to the environment.
- Efficient to separate the analyte and interfering component, reducing interfering from the impurity.
- Can deal small volume feeding.
- High recycle rate, and good reproducibility.
- Easy to operate and save time, easy automation. SPE is used for the sample purify and condensation, it can suit kinds of analysis sample preparation needs on Gas Chromatography, High Efficient Liquid Chromatography, Mass Spectrometry, NMR, Spectrophotometry, Atom Absorption and etc.
SPE main reserve modes are Target compound reserve and interference reserve.
- Target compound reserve mode
It is that the sample solution passes through the adsorbent, the target and some interfering are reserved, most of interfering is excluded with the solvent, and then we exclude the reserved interfering by adding the eluent, at last, using the eluent to elute the target compound.
The process of this mode: activation/balance-feeding-washing-eluting
- Interference reserve mode
It is that the sample solution passes through the adsorbent, main interfering is reserved, the target and some interfering is excluded, then we add moderate solvent to elute the target.
The process of this mode: activation/balance-feeding-eluting
The application for SPE is wide which is mainly for the environment analysis, medicine analysis, clinical analysis, food and drink analysis and etc.
For example, the surface water has low analyte density in the environment sample, so we must enrich the analyte before the analysis. The biological liquid is complex with quantity protein, so we need prepare the sample to remove the protein before the analysis.
If you have any problem or require further information, please contact info@welchmat